Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Offspring



Sometimes it frightens me.

The depth and strength of the feelings that my children can generate in me.

Especially when they are not around.

The photo above was taken at No. 1 daughter's wedding in London last August.

When I look at this picture, I recognise the people in it. I know that I love them dearly, that I would gladly die for them. They make me outrageously happy. They fill my soul.

And yet, part of me feels detached from them.

To the point of barely recognising our connectedness.

Is this the way its supposed to be?

I don't feel sad.

I'm just curious.

8 comments:

Pauline said...

Yes, that's the way it should be. Otherwise you'd be wanting them underfoot all the time like they were when they were small and under your direct care. Without that detachment, you'd never be able to let them be who they are becoming. It's all good, Rise.

molly said...

I'm glad Pauline got here first, because I was a bit flummoxed by this. And her comment is comforting. There is no easy way to explain the tangled connections we feel with our adult children. Sometimes your heart feels like it will burst, with love, and with anguish, all at the same time.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm not sure how it's SUPPOSED to be, only how it is. I feel as you do about my own grown children who positively awe me with the people they have become, even as I recognize my former babies in them. And while I would not hesitate to die for any of them, I hope so much to be given many more years in which to cherish and admire them as they continue to become so much more than I will ever be.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

P.S. Your children are all beautiful!

Warty Mammal said...

I think so, yes.

secret agent woman said...

Great looking bunch. My fellas are still at home, so I still feel connected to them in a very visceral way. I don't know if that will change when they move off.

molly said...

First thing EB said on seeing this
"L is the image of P!" I didn't think so before but now I do. Maybe the similarities don't become obvious until they lose that baby softness.....

Meggie said...

What Molly said!