Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Good Day



Today was a good day.

In the early hours of the morning, a friend and I drove through the mist to the wilds of County Clare. Far from the madding crowds. For a day of navel gazing.

"Mumbo jumbo" he said. "Stuff and nonsense" he said. "Whatever floats your boat" he said.

I have thick skin.

The Retreat Centre is nestled high on a hill surrounded by rolling hills, nature's jamboree and remote silences. For as long as I can remember it has been a Retreat Centre. But I had never been there before because the cost of the courses was too high. The Centre changed hands about 2 years ago and now it is being run by an American man and his English born wife. They live in the Buddhist tradition and as a consequence their charges for retreats are within everybody's reach.

We meditated in silence from 10am until 4.30pm. We ate our lunch in silence.

Bliss.

Not all of the people attending had meditated before. It was interesting to see how these individuals dealt with the silence. Some were decidedly uncomfortable with it. Others, surreptitiously glancing around them trying to discover like-minded, uneasy souls.

I like meditation. I like the slowness and inner quietness that it brings. My soul craves silence.

My everyday life is noisy. I live with people who seem to be immune to the cacophony of sounds. I manage very well, I keep my cool most of the time but I savour the times when noise is absent and my spirit can dance to the inner music.

So, I am feeling renewed. Calm and settled. Tomorrow will bring whatever it brings. And I will deal with it.

A good day, indeed.

1 comment:

molly said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a Sunday......I'd be the one fidgeting.
Maybe you can initiate me next time I'm home? And when I can do it without fidgeting, maybe we could go to that blissful place together.