Saturday, November 3, 2007

Curiouser and Curiouser



Let me introduce Pedro and Jose. (Names have been changed to protect their identity.)

Pedro is the brazen, daredevil teenager in front. Jose, skulking behind the bucket, is his all-too-willing sidekick.

Street cats, the pair of them. Loitering with intent, on street corners, behind buckets, high up on precarious roosts, seemingly, unaware of the passing parade, grooming themseves fastidiously and waiting. Waiting for the unsuspecting victim. The innocent passerby, going about his business, interfering with neither man nor beast. Then, out they pounce, yowling and mewling like banshees, skittering and scattering like demented fur balls, glaring malevolently and spewing forth hissing sounds that would make your eyelashes curl. Having frightened the bejaysus out of their victim, they, then, retreat to the nearest "safe house" and proceed to curl up into 2 innocent kitties. Why do they do this? I have no idea but can only surmise that they are, indeed, practising for the tiger world. Where it is very dangerous. Where they will need to have all their skills in top cat shape.

I have always had a rather ambivalent attitude to cats.

But, I found myself warming very quickly to these 2 ragamuffins. Bold and brazen, they most certainly were but did they care?? Not on your Nellie, No Siree. They were doing what they had to do to ensure their survival. I like that.

Pity us humans don't do the same.

5 comments:

meggie said...

They certainly are curious critters, these cats!

molly said...

You know how they say dogs have masters, cats have staff?

Molly said...

I am glad that you gave away Jose's hiding place, or I would have missed him. Yes, indeed in the picture, they seem rather innocent.

Pauline said...

I might learn to hurl myself at my enemy like a banshee if I knew what world I was preparing myself for...

whimsical brainpan said...

Honestly I think they do that for a good laugh.

I love cats (but am allergic to them).